July 15, 2014

What did you do today that was productive?
After work I spent the whole evening working on my motorcycle. The project began with me changing the drive chain.  Once that was removed I decided to remove the rear wheel to investigate the wheel bearings. Since the wheel was off the bike it seemed like a good time to clean it. In order to clean it thoroughly I need to disassemble the wheel hub. So... The chain replacement project turned into a 3 hour cleaning project... 


What did you do today that you valued?
I completely valued the time spent on the motorcycle today. Although I did not complete the project I set out to accomplish, I did something else which was just as valuable and enjoyable. I love getting my hands dirty but I do not do enough project like that anymore.
Did you learn anything today?
I learned all sorts of things about my motorcycle as I tore it apart.

Is there anything you would like to do differently tomorrow?
If I could do the same exact thing tomorrow I would be completely satisfied.

Any other thoughts?
I learned from my father about cleaning things when you dismantle them for repairs or servicing. He would never take something apart without thoroughly cleaning each part. It really takes a long time to complete projects like this but they are much nicer when complete. When I work on a project like the motorcycle I do not consciously think about cleaning all the components it has become second nature for me. I would feel uncomfortable reassembling without cleaning everything.